With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I thought I’d share a few things that I am (and likely you are) thankful for as a business owner.
- We Get to Call the Shots. Whenever I see friends suffering under the rule of a bad boss, or not getting raises because of cutbacks, I’m thankful that I’m my own boss, and that I don’t have to put up with working with or for people I don’t like. Sure, I might make more if I were in Corporate America, but I wouldn’t trade the balance in favor of more money for anything.
- We’re Pursuing our Passions. Sometimes I have to force myself not to check my email. But because I genuinely love helping people with marketing, I’m always eager to see what’s awaiting me. If you love what you do, be grateful. Not everyone has that luxury.
- We Can Work from Home. People ask me how I can stand it, working from home every day. I love it. I’ve carved out my home office, and actually get much more done here than I would in an office surrounded by distractions. Plus I rarely have to suffer in painful heels like people that work in offices do!
- We Can Choose Who We Work With. Many people have said, “surround yourself by people that are smarter than you.” As a business owner, you can do that! I enjoy finding writers to work with that complement my own skill sets, and who “get” why I love writing.
- We Get to Write Off Business Expenses. Spending money is hard for small business owners, but at least we know we can write off that business trip or lunch.
- Seeing Our Name on a Business Card is Thrilling. Admit it: every time you see that title of President or Owner on a business card, you smile. If you’re like me, you still can’t believe that you run a company. I still feel like “little ole me!”
- You’ve Got Low Overhead. This may not be true for everyone, but because I run a services company, my inventory is in my head. I don’t have to buy stock and have it sit there. Makes for high-profit margins!
- You Can Take a Week (or Two) Off for Thanksgiving. Or take the day off just because it’s Tuesday. I love having flexibility, though I often feel like I should work just because that’s the expectation.
- You Don’t Get a Standard Paycheck. Okay, for many of us, we miss the steadiness of a regular paycheck, but when you realize you can make more than you did before, it’s fun to invoice and start seeing the money roll in.
- You’re Limited Only by Your Own Imagination. If you want to start a second company or add a product line, you can. You’re in charge of your own destiny.
What are you thankful for?
CorpNet is thankful for small business owners like you. Whether you’re starting a business or have been running a business for a while, we salute your dedication and bravery. Happy Thanksgiving!