Did you know that January 13 is National Make Your Dreams Come True Day? While there seem to be days in honor of nearly every occasion (no matter how obscure or seemingly insignificant), I think this particular one has a lot of merit. Entrepreneurs are both doers and dreamers. When they start a business, they aspire to make their dreams of controlling their own professional destiny come true.
With almost the entire year ahead of you in 2016, what better time to take action and fulfill your own small business dreams?
In striving to become a more successful entrepreneur, little changes can mean a lot. The following simple habits, for example, can help expand your network, boost your credibility, and improve your performance when made a part of your daily routine:
- Make at least one new connection every day on LinkedIn – Don’t just send a generic invitation; send a personalized invitation to open the door to dialogue. But be careful about coming across as pushy and salesy. That can be a turnoff and drive potential customers away.
- Read (and learn from) at least one reputable, highly regarded blog – Choose blogs that will keep you in the know about trends and developments in your industry. The more you know, the more credibility you’ll have and the more trust you’ll earn.
- Be helpful to another professional – Share an article you believe they’ll find interesting; introduce them to someone they might have an opportunity to do business with; give their business a shout out on social media…the possibilities are endless! By helping others, you’ll make them more inclined to consider you when they’re looking for the types of products and services you provide. And they’ll be more likely to refer business to you.
- Proofread (and double check tone) of your emails before you hit “send” – I can’t stress this enough! Fair or not, people will judge your professionalism by how well you communicate. While an occasional error will be forgiven, blatant sloppiness in spelling, grammar, and punctuation will make you appear careless and uneducated. Review everything you write carefully to make sure it’s clear and error free. Also read your emails out loud to pick up on any unintentional harsh vibes they might convey. If you find they come across abrupt or insensitive, give them an attitude adjustment before sending them to recipients.
- Commit to giving your clients no less than your best – This goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway! When you put your best effort into doing work for your customers, you stand a much better chance of delighting them than you will by simply going through the motions. Bring your “A game” to every client interaction.
- Start the day with a “can do” frame of mind – A confident state of mind empowers you to work more productively and tackle challenges with greater ease. If you don’t naturally feel that way when you begin your day, consider engaging in some positive self-talk or write down your strengths to reinforce your status as a capable and competent professional.
None of these suggestions requires a great deal of time or energy, so what are you waiting for? In the spirit of National Make Your Dreams Come True Day, put them into practice and get closer to making all of your small business dreams a reality. Stop only dreaming and start doing.
Let CorpNet help you make your dreams come true. We’ve helped thousands of people start a business, and we can help you too. Get a free business consultation today!