Employer Identification Number (EIN) written on legal document

February 10, 2022 | Startup and Launch

Do I Need a New EIN?

If you already have an employer identification number (EIN) for your business but have recently made some changes, you may be wondering, “Do I need a new EIN?” Depending on the type of business entity and the circumstances, the IRS may require you to apply for a new federal tax ID number.

In today’s post, I’ll break down the different situations where you are required to apply for a new EIN, as well as, cover the situations where one is not required.

When Do You Need a New EIN Number


A new EIN is required if any of the following statements are true:

  • A new corporation is formed with the Secretary of State.
  • A corporation is a subsidiary of a corporation using the parent’s EIN, or the corporation becomes a subsidiary of a corporation.
  • A corporation changes to a partnership or a sole proprietorship.
  • A new corporation is created after a statutory merger.

A new EIN is not required under the following circumstances:

  • The surviving corporation uses the existing EIN after a corporate merger.
  • A corporation declares bankruptcy.
  • The corporate name or location changes.
  • A corporation chooses to be taxed as an S corporation.

Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)

A new EIN must be obtained if:

A corporation files papers with the state to convert to an LLC and will use the default tax classification of partnership. In this situation, the corporation is considered liquidated.

The IRS does not require an LLC to apply for a new EIN in the following situations:

  • A corporation files papers with the state to convert to an LLC and will elect via Form 8832 to be taxed as a corporation.
  • The number of members in the LLC changes from more than one member to a single member (i.e., changes from a multi-member LLC to a single-member LLC).
  • The number of members in the LLC changes from a single member to more than one member (i.e., changes from a single-member LLC to a multi-member LLC).
  • A sole proprietor files papers to become a state-recognized entity, organizes as an LLC, and will file Form 2553 or Form 8832 to elect to be treated as a disregarded entity or taxed as a corporation or small business corporation


If any of the following statements are true, the IRS will require that the business owners obtain a new EIN:

  • The partners incorporate the business.
  • One of the partners takes over the partnership and operates it as a sole proprietorship.
  • The partners end the partnership and begin a new one.

A new EIN is not required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true:

  • The partnership declares bankruptcy.
  • The partnership changes its name.
  • The partnership changes its location or adds other locations.
  • A new partnership is formed due to the termination of a partnership.
  • Fifty percent or more of the partnership’s ownership (measured by interests in capital and profits) changes hands within a twelve-month period.

Sole Proprietors

The IRS requires a new EIN if any of the following statements are true:

  • The sole proprietor is subject to a bankruptcy proceeding.
  • The sole proprietor incorporates the business.
  • The business owner takes in partners and operates as a partnership.
  • The business owner purchases or inherits an existing business and will operate as a sole proprietorship.

A new EIN is not required if any of the following statements are true:

  • The sole proprietor changes the name of the business.
  • The business changes its location or add other locations.
  • The sole proprietor operates multiple businesses.

How to Cancel an EIN

Businesses will no longer use their existing EIN after requesting a new one in some of the situations above. Typically, that will mean the tax account associated with that EIN must be closed. Business owners should discuss this with their accountant or tax advisor. Generally, a letter to the IRS explaining the reason for closing the account associated with the EIN will suffice.

How to Apply for an EIN

While it’s relatively simple to request a new EIN via IRS Form SS-4 (“Application for Employer Identification Number”).

You can save time and feel confident it’s done correctly by asking CorpNet to file your EIN application. Reach out to us today to get started!



<a href="https://www.corpnet.com/blog/author/nellieakalp/" target="_self">Nellie Akalp</a>

Nellie Akalp

Nellie Akalp is an entrepreneur, small business expert, speaker, and mother of four amazing kids. As CEO of CorpNet.com, she has helped more than half a million entrepreneurs launch their businesses. Akalp is nationally recognized as one of the most prominent experts on small business legal matters, contributing frequently to outlets like Entrepreneur, Forbes, Huffington Post, Mashable, and Fox Small Business. A passionate entrepreneur herself, Akalp is committed to helping others take the reigns and dive into small business ownership. Through her public speaking, media appearances, and frequent blogging, she has developed a strong following within the small business community and has been honored as a Small Business Influencer Champion three years in a row.

Related Posts

Checklist for a Home-Based Business

Checklist for a Home-Based Business

Many entrepreneurs start their small businesses in their homes. Without the costs associated with renting or buying office space, it helps keep startup expenses down. Still, business owners running their companies out of their houses must pay attention to many details...

How to Start a Business With a Partner

How to Start a Business With a Partner

You’ve heard the phrase "two heads are better than one” and that often rings true for entrepreneurs. Along with the pooled knowledge from multiple brains, having a business partner brings the perks of additional funds, a wider breadth of skills, a built-in support...

How to Start a Tax Preparation Business From Home

How to Start a Tax Preparation Business From Home

Do you already have experience in preparing tax returns as an employee or temp for a tax agency and wish you had more control over your schedule? Or are you looking to capitalize on your math abilities and attention to detail on your own terms? Either way, you may be...

Subscribe to Newsletter

Practical business and financial insights, lessons, perspectives, and know-how brought right to your inbox.

Thank you for subscribing!

100% satisfaction guaranteed or we will refund 100% of our service fees with no questions asked!