West Virginia Registered Agent Services

CorpNet can act as your West Virginia registered agent ensuring your business stays compliant with any service of process, legal notices, or official mailings.

Our registered agent services are fast, affordable, guaranteed, and just $149 per year.

  1. Home
  2. Start a Business
  3. Registered Agent Services
  4. West Virginia Registered Agent Services

Why You Need to Appoint a Registered Agent in West Virginia

When a West Virginia business is formed, the company must designate a registered agent and office within the formation documents for foreign or domestic Corporations, LLCs, Limited Partnerships, Cooperatives, Associations, and Business Trusts. A registered agent is an individual or company that accepts official paperwork such as service of process (lawsuits) and annual registration fee notices. Every authorized West Virginia business must maintain a registered agent.

Appointing a registered agent is legally required under West Virginia state statutes 31D-5-501 and §31B-1-111.

Failure to appoint and maintain a commercial registered agent could result in default judgments (in the case of a lawsuit), fines, and penalties. You might also risk having your business suspended or terminated in the state of West Virginia.

Quick & Easy Ordering

Company is required
Business Type is required
State is required
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What Does a Registered Agent Do?

A registered agent is an individual or business that is appointed by the company to receive and sign for any legal service of process documents, notices, or demands served upon the company.

Some examples of the documentation include:

  • Official federal and state correspondence
  • Subpoenas for information
  • Tax notices
  • Lawsuit notifications
  • Summonses to appear in court
  • Wage garnishment notices
  • Corporate filing notifications

What West Virginia Business Entities Require a Registered Agent?

The following domestic and foreign businesses require a resident agent in West Virginia:

  • Corporation
  • Nonprofit Corporation
  • Agricultural Cooperative Association
  • Broadband Cooperative Association
  • Nonprofit Agricultural Cooperative Association
  • Limited Liability Company (LLC)
  • Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC)
  • Limited Partnership (LP)
  • Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
  • Voluntary Association
  • Business Trust
  • Unincorporated Nonprofit Association

Who Qualifies as a Registered Agent in West Virginia?

To serve as a resident agent or office, you must meet the following requirements:

  • An individual who resides in West Virginia and whose business office is identical to that of the registered office
  • A domestic corporation or domestic nonprofit corporation whose business office is identical to that of the registered office
  • A foreign corporation or foreign nonprofit corporation authorized to transact business in West Virginia and whose business office is identical to that of the registered office
Smiling Woman Working on Her Computer

Why a Commercial Registered Agent is Your Best Option

A commercial registered agent has filed a special listing statement with a state’s agency responsible for business registrations and compliance. Information that a commercial registered agent provides on the list includes its company name, entity type, and address to which service of process should be sent.

Commercial registered agents often maintain a physical address in multiple states and work with many business entities. Commercial agents like CorpNet also will notify businesses of upcoming state filings and legal notices and they can prepare and submit compliance filings on your behalf.

There are many advantages to working with a commercial registered agent. From convenience and privacy to easy online document access, a commercial registered agent offers peace of mind.

Verified Trustpilot Review of ★★★★★

For many years, and through several different companies, CorpNet has been there for me. I have used their LLC formation and dissolution services…and then their formation service again, and then once again. I have also taken advantage of their services for annual report filing as well as registered agent monitoring and notification. I honestly don’t know what I’d do if left to my own devices with these matters.

What really makes CorpNet stand out, in my opinion, is the level of service, the consistency of the experience, and the price. You speak to live humans whenever you want (during business hours, of course). And beyond that, these are live humans that actually get to know you. State fees aside, the fees for CorpNet services are so nominal. And you just can’t put a price on doing the best you can for your small business. You and your company provide endless examples of how to rock a small business on every level.

FAQs About West Virginia Registered Agent Services

Does West Virginia require a registered agent?

Yes. The majority of businesses within the state of West Virginia must appoint a registered agent and office.

What government entity manages registered agents in West Virginia?

West Virginia Secretary of State
Business & Licensing Division
13 Kanawha Blvd. West
Suite 201
Charleston, WV 25302

Telephone: (304)558-8000
Website: https://sos.wv.gov/business/Pages/default.aspx

What forms are used to appoint or change a registered agent in West Virginia?

  • West Virginia Articles of Incorporation (Form CD-1)
  • West Virginia Articles of Incorporation With Non-Profit IRS Attachment (Form CD-INP)
  • West Virginia Articles of Organization of Limited Liability Company (Form LLD-1)
  • Certificate of West Virginia Limited Partnership (Form LP-1)
  • Statement of Registration of Domestic or Foreign Limited Liability Partnership (Form LLP-1)
  • West Virginia Articles of Incorporation for an Agricultural Cooperative Association (Form CAD-1)
  • West Virginia Articles of Incorporation for a Broadband Cooperative Association (Form CBD-1)
  • West Virginia Articles of Incorporation for an Agricultural Cooperative With 501(c)(3) Non-Profit IRS Attachment (Form CAD-1NP)
  • Application for Voluntary Association (Form VA-1)
  • Application for Business Trust (Form BT-1)
  • Statement of Agent of Process for Unincorporated Non-Profit Association (Form UNA-1)
  • Application of Certificate of Authority (Form CF-1)
  • West Virginia Application of Certificate of Authority of Limited Liability Company (Form LLF-1)
  • West Virginia Articles of Amendment of Organization (Form LLD-2)
  • West Virginia Articles of Incorporation Profit Amendment (Form CD-2)
  • Statement of Agent of Process for Unincorporated Association (UNA-1)
  • Statement of Resignation of a Registered Agent (Form RRA-1)

How much does a registered agent cost?

There is a wide range of pricing for registered agents. Some service providers offer super low rates, however, this comes with limited services, hidden costs, and they do not offer important things your business needs like compliance monitoring, online customer portals, live customer service, or a money-back guarantee.

While at face value, a low-priced registered agent may seem like a sweet deal, things can turn sour quickly. So rather than looking only at the price low-cost providers flash prominently on their websites, dig deeper into what you’ll be getting and what you’re not getting.

How do I change my existing registered agent?

Resident Agent changes must be made by filing an Annual Report through the WV One Stop Business Portal.

If you hire a commercial registered agent, they can process the paperwork for you. Request CorpNet to change your registered agent for you.

Can my registered agent manage my annual report?

Yes! When you appoint a commercial registered agent you can receive a wide range of business compliance assistance. CorpNet handles online filings for a wide range of requirements at the state, federal, and local levels:

  • File Articles of Incorporation
  • File Articles of Organization
  • File a foreign qualification
  • File a DBA (Doing Business As)
  • File initial reports and annual reports
  • Request an S Corporation election
  • Request EINs (Federal Tax ID Numbers)
  • Register for business licenses
  • Register for sales and use tax permits
  • Register for payroll taxes

Are discounts available for multiple businesses or states?

CorpNet offers nationwide registered agent services supporting multi-state, multi-company, and bulk registrations. Our full coverage across the United States is enhanced by a single point of contact that offers volume discounts for multiple entities, states, or years of service. Learn more about CorpNet’s bulk registered agent discounts.

100% satisfaction guaranteed or we will refund 100% of our service fees with no questions asked!