CorpNet can help you register for New York payroll taxes. This saves you time and money, while also making it quick and easy to pay your employees.

New York Payroll Tax Registration Bundle Starting at $199

Here’s How it Works

Icon of Paper and Pen

We collect your Information.

CorpNet will collect info about you from the form above to determine your eligibility for online or over the phone registration.

Magnifying Glass Icon

We check for accuracy.

We’ll personally contact you to assess your business tax registration needs and discuss the options available.

Chat Bubble Icon

We work closely with you.

After you place your order, your dedicated CorpNet agent will collect additional information needed to successfully complete your tax registration request. Once we have all we need, we will submit your application to the state.

Icon of Money and Computer Mouse

We Deliver.

We’ll provide you with your employer account registration details so you can give them to your payroll provider to help you pay your employees faster.

Man at Computer

Need your payroll tax
registration done fast?

Try our expedited services. We’ll process your order with CorpNet in 3-5 business days.*

Get Started

*Processing times cannot be guaranteed and are at the discretion of the state of New York.

New York Payroll Tax FAQs

What is Unemployment Insurance Tax?2021-06-23T11:34:22-07:00

Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI) is a federal program that provides temporary payments to workers that are unemployed, and this employment status is not based on their own actions. Rates vary by state.

What State Payroll Taxes Apply to New York?2021-06-23T11:34:01-07:00

New York manages state payroll taxes through the Department of Taxation and Finance.

  • Income taxes: New York has a progressive income tax depending on the employee’s income level—from 4% to 8.82%. If employees live in New York City, there is an additional surcharge—from 2.907% to 3.876%. Effective January 1, 2021, supplemental wages, such as bonuses and commission, are taxed at 9.62%. Employees who are residents of Yonkers have an additional surcharge of 1.61135% for supplemental wages. Employees living in New York City have an additional surcharge of 4.25% for supplemental wages.
  • Unemployment Insurance (UI): Most employers in New York are also required to pay taxes to provide unemployment insurance through The New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL). The rate cannot exceed 3.4% and is fixed each year according to the size of the Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund.
  • Employer Compensation Expense Tax (ECET): New York employers can also opt to pay an Employer Compensation Expense Tax (ECET) to offset employees’ federal taxes. More on the ECET below.
  • Re-employment Services Fund (RSF): All NY employers must pay a tax into the re-employment services fund. This fund provides support and training for the unemployed to help get them back to work. The RSF is a flat tax of 0.075% on the total quarterly payroll.
  • State Disability Insurance (SDI) and Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML). New York also requires employees/employers to contribute to State Disability Insurance and Paid Family Medical Leave. Employers can share in the contribution or have employees bear the full responsibility from their wages.
What is the Employer Compensation Expense Tax (ECET)?2021-06-23T11:35:06-07:00

The ECET is an optional tax program established by the Employer Compensation Expense Program (ECEP). Participating employers agree to pay an extra payroll tax of 5% on all annual payroll expenses once employees reach the $40,000 threshold. Employees can then claim the credit on their federal tax returns, and employers can deduct the tax on their federal business tax returns. The program was established to offset the SALT cap posed on taxpayers.

What is State Disability Insurance Tax?2021-06-23T11:35:25-07:00

State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a program that provides temporary payments to workers for illness and injury as a result of non-work activities, pregnancy, and Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits.

Am I Required to Register for Payroll Taxes in New York?2021-06-23T11:35:56-07:00

All employers with employees residing in New York state must register for payroll taxes with the New York Department of Taxation and Finance.

Are There Any New York Employees Exempt From Withholding Tax?2021-06-23T11:36:53-07:00

Yes, the following conditions exempt New York employees from withholding tax:

  • Employees must be under age 18, or over age 65, or full-time students under age 25 and
  • Not have incurred any New York income tax liability for the previous year; and
  • Do not expect to have a New York income tax liability for the current year.

If employees meet the above criteria, employers must file an IT-2104-E Certificate of Exemption from Withholding form with the Department of Taxation and Finance.

Do My Household Employees Require Registration and Payroll Taxes?2021-06-23T11:37:29-07:00

Withholding income tax from wages paid to household employees is voluntary.

What is an Employer Registration Number?2021-06-23T11:38:14-07:00

The New York State Registration Number is the business’s Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) followed by a location code. The registration number is required for all state and local payroll interactions to ensure your account is accurate. You must provide your employer payroll tax account number when filing returns and making deposits in all electronic and paper filings.

What Kind of Information Do I Need for Payroll Tax Registration?2021-06-28T10:26:56-07:00
  • Name and Social Security number of all responsible parties
  • Doing Business As (DBA), if applicable
  • Physical business address and mailing address
  • Business phone number
  • Valid email address (contact person and business)
  • Nine-digit federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Industry description
What if I Don’t Have an EIN?2021-06-28T10:26:21-07:00

An EIN is a Federal Tax Identification Number provided by the IRS. If you do not have an EIN already, CorpNet can obtain one for you via their FTIN service.

What if I Don’t Have a Payroll Processor?2021-06-28T10:26:03-07:00

CorpNet works with the leading payroll processors and we can connect you with our trusted partners who will pay your employees, accrue the necessary taxes, and complete the necessary payments and documentation with state and federal authorities.

User Image

Excellent services.

“Excellent services.Very helpful and knowledgeable in their craft. “
– Dr. Earle Baldwin | July 10, 2020

Incorporate Now